The Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner hybrids have regenerative brakes. They will do a self test every 5 minutes that pressurizes the system. If you do not disable the self-test function, you could be seriously injured while replacing the brake pads. The following is the step-by-step procedure to put the brakes in Safe Brake Service Mode (SBSM):
- Park the vehicle with the ignition on.
- Step on the brake pedal.
- With your foot on the brake pedal, turn the key off and then turn it on 3 times. Then release the brake pedal. This should be completed in less than 3 seconds.
- If done correctly, the brake warning light will flash when stored hydraulic pressure is released. It will stay on once pressure is released.
- Now you can safely repair your brakes. After the repair, you will need to activate the regenerative brakes once more by turning the ignition key off and on again. Leave the key in the on position.
- When you are done, you will need to exit SBSM. To do this, step on the brake pedal and hold it down while turning the ignition off and on. This creates pressure in the system. The brake warning light should now go off.
This is just one of the things to keep in mind when servicing Ford Escape and Mercury mariner hybrids. Always refer to the service manual for safety information whenever working on or near high voltage systems.