Now that you’ve purchased your recliner or slipcovers, you’ll need to know how to care for them to keep your furniture looking good and lasting longer. Whether the material of your recliner is made of leather, fabric, or any other material, you know how to clean it yourself without breaking the bank.
Most recliner slipcovers today are very easy to care for. All you have to do is take them off and throw them in the washing machine. If you did not purchase a cover to protect your recliner upholstery, you can use the following to clean and care for your recliner upholstery.
Cleaning Cloth Material
1. Be sure to remove any loose cushions.
2. You will need to get rid of any loose dirt using a brush or a vacuum that has a brush attached.
3. Be sure to vacuum all surfaces of the recliner making sure to get to the side, back, arms, and crevices.
4. Vacuum the cushions, then replace them in the recliner.
5. You can use a mild detergent, but make sure it does not contain bleach or whiteners. Add a quarter cup of detergent with a little warm water. Use a hand mixer or mixer so that you can create a foam from the mixture. You will have to make foam because with this you will clean the upholstery.
6. Using a soft cloth or sponge, apply the foam to the material and lightly rub into it. You will see that dirt accumulates in the foam.
7. Use a dry towel to remove foam and additional moisture.
8. Finally, let the furniture dry overnight.
To clean leather upholstery
1. Use a mild facial soap with warm water to clean your leather upholstery. Use a soft cloth that will not damage your furniture. When cleaning, be sure to pay close attention to the headrest and armrest, where most of your dirt and body oils will accumulate.
2. Rinse with lukewarm or cold water and towel dry.
3. When cleaning leather, be sure to use distilled water so that the chemicals in normal tap water do not cause discoloration.
4. After cleaning and rinsing the leather, dry it with a white towel to make sure it is clean.
5. From time to time you can apply one part vinegar and two parts linseed oil to clean your furniture.
When you’re done cleaning your leather upholstery, it’s a good idea to apply a leather protectant to your furniture. Clean up spills as you make them, don’t wait until they have embedded themselves in the material. Never use baby oil on your furniture or baby wipes on your leather.
If these cleaning techniques don’t work for your furniture or recliner material, you can search for more online or hire a professional to clean your furniture. Just be sure to read the manufacturer’s instructions, and be sure to take extra precautions when placing substances on your recliner’s upholstery.